Tuesday, January 21, 2014

How to {shave} your Area Rug

Pin It
Hey there!  I have the BEST tip to pass on to you today!


I showed you here and here some of the things I had been working on in our upstairs living room.

See that gorgeous green rug?  I seriously LOVE. IT.  Great color, great texture, and durable enough to stand up to my rowdy bunch!





After having the rug about 6 months, it was starting to fuzz up.  Most people would probably never even notice, but it was driving me super crazy.  It just looked ratty.






So, I ordered a fabric shaver-it didn't help.  It would "kind of" pick up some of the fuzz.  


I realized I needed something to actually SHAVE off the fuzzy stuff.

Enter my hubby's hair clippers.





I didn't use any of the attachments, just the straight up blade.  

These are cheap-o hair clippers from Wal-Mart.  Nothing fancy.



I gently skimmed the top of my rug.  Don't push down!  Just skim it across.


NOTE: This is an indoor/outdoor rug with a flat weave.  I wouldn't recommend this for a rug with a super plush pile.




That said, here's a little before and after!!


BEFORE






AFTER



Can you believe how different it looks?


It seriously looks BRAND NEW again.  So pleased!


This is what it looked like in progress.  Fuzz EVERYWHERE.





More in progress:





And done!







Looking good again.  Whew.





Hope this tip helps someone rescue their rug!







Linking up here


14 comments:

  1. Oh my word, you are so clever. I love this idea and your rug does look totally brand new. What a fabulous tip. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a terrific idea!!! I'm sure I'll be using this tip in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea! I am looking for a rug! I love yours!! I am doing a giveaway and would love for you to come by and check it out!
    XO, Jennie
    http://www.thediaryofarealhousewife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a difference. Can't believe it was that easy to make it look new again. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the super duper Idea. I Love when real moms, are real creative, and have real answers. Thanks for Sharing

    ~ Dawn
    Author Overboard Creations

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy I came upon this post. I almost gave away an area rug because of this problem. Now I can use it! Thank you, Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I googled for ideas on how to save a carpet and yours came up number 1... I have clippers already so will give it a go. My lodger was hoovering his room with the hard floor bristles extended instead of retracted (for carpets). I saw him doing it one day and put him right but not before the damage was done. Luckily he paid a deposit! I'll let you know how I get on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just what I have been looking for! We have almost the exact same rug and while I love the durability the "shagginess" was getting to me! I was about to order a sweater shaver, so glad I found your blog first! Hope the hubby doesn't mind if I borrow his clippers tonight... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bought a bag of cheep razors and have shaved the smaller rug. It looks so much better, but my hands hurt. I'm going to try your idea for the bigger rug. Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  10. thought of replacing mine but this is worth the try.thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was wracking my brain trying to figure out how to do this to my rug. I love my rug. It took me forever to find the perfect rug, and I didn't want to part with it. I will definitely be trying this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Why would you not recommend on a plush pile? what could I use on a more plush pile? It is not super plush, just not a flat weave. Similar fuzzy however ... help!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing! I have a similar rug that wold drive me crazy as I would continue to use a sweater shaver that was getting me nowhere! I will be trying this method!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for sharing! I have a similar rug that wold drive me crazy as I would continue to use a sweater shaver that was getting me nowhere! I will be trying this method!

    ReplyDelete

I truly enjoy and appreciate EVERY comment! Thank you for taking the time to comment, and stop by my blog!