Saturday, May 29, 2010

TALL {table leg} Candlesticks

Pin It
Sorry for the lack of posts lately!
My parents got me the whole Twilight series for Mother's Day.....needless to say, I've been doing a lot of reading!


I saw this picture from Pottery Barn a few months ago, and have been dying to have TALL candlesticks.
So lovely!

Then, I saw a post over at Impatienty Praying for Patience.  She turned newel posts (kind of like a banister) into tall candlesticks.  I knew I had to try this!



Supplies Needed:
  • Unfinished wood Table Legs (found @ Lowe's.  Home Depot does not carry these)
  •  Unfinished wood Circles (found @ Michael's) in these sizes:
    • 4 in, 7 in, 10 in (2 of each)
  • Wood Glue or Gorilla Glue
  • Saw
  • Spray paint  

I went to my local Lowe's, and found these beauties.
I loved how chunky they were, and the details were nice too.


I picked up some wood circles from Michael's:


I started by sawing off part of my table legs.  I thought they were a little too thick at the bottom

Next, using Gorilla Epoxy glue, I attached the legs to the 10" circles



While those were drying, I worked on the "top" of my candlesticks.

Take the 4 inch circle, and the 7 inch circle, and glue them together.
Like this:

Then, glue the "top circles" to the top of your candlestick, like this:
(turned them upside down; this will insure a better bond w/the glue)




Next, spray paint!


After a few light coats; Voila!




Some more shots:


I love them!


The BEST part?

Total Cost: $25 for each candlestick!


Linkin' up at these fab sites:
Domestically Speaking
Life in the Pitts
Blue Cricket Design
The Shabby Chic Cottage
Fireflies and Jelly Beans
Night Owl Crafting
Creations by Kara
Somewhat Simple 
A few of my Favorite Things
Fingerprints on the Fridge
Tidy Mom
Fun to Craft
Tatertots and Jello 
Funky Junk Interiors
Domestically Speaking 



39 comments:

  1. those came out soooo great!!!! I still want to make those chunky wood ones someday with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those turned out so great! They look fabulous on your hearth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how they turned out! I really want to make some but my kids love candles and have already destroyed all the candles they could reach because they liked smelling them! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stopping by from Fireflies and Jellybeans and I love this project. You are so talented girl!!! I am your newest follower!
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would never thought of using table legs! Great idea!'

    I would love for you to link this project up to my party

    http://simpsonizedcraftsandthensome.blogspot.com/2010/05/socialize-with-me-monday-til-sunday.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! I think I've got some table legs in the garage too. I featuring you in the Spotlight on Saturday @ the POPP.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. Your candlesticks look fantastic! Just like the real thing. What a great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those candlesticks are fantastic. How clever you are!
    Angex

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow these look great. Better than the original!

    I'm hosting a party on Saturday and would love it if you linked up!
    iamalongfortheride.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great, another fabulous project on my already long list of things I HAVE to make!

    (Those came out awesome.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute and clever! I have these on my list now. Love their major style impact.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sarah! Those turned out great! You always come up with the coolest stuff!!

    ~Morgan

    Meet Virginia!
    Meet Virginia!!
    Meet Virginia!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome, gorgeous, fabulous! Fantastic job!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow - these turned out so great! I had to scroll back up to the top to see what the differences were - yours look just like the originals! Nice job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your candle sticks look gorgeous next to the fireplace. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very clever and you got the look! Yay. Jane F

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic! I am super impressed. This looks really, really good.

    Thank you for participating in the Creative Therapy session over at Life in the Pitts.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Girl you are amazing! What a fabulous idea! i am definitely going to have to make these! Thanks for linking up to Hoo's got talent!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great job! They turned out perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  20. They turned out fabulous, better than PB!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fabulous idea!!! I used those same table legs for a child's 'wardrobe tree' I created...gotta love those legs :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. clever and wonderful! Lezlee

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey, Just wanted to let you know I featured you on my Flickr feature here: http://notsoidlehands.blogspot.com/2010/06/reader-flickr-feature.html

    Thanks so much, this turned out SO cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I LOVE this! Thanks so much for the details and photos. Yours are GORGEOUS! I can't wait to try it after we move!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Holy cow these turned out amazing! I adore them :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love this idea! My sister & I just made some with lamp bases, but this seems way easier! Wish we'd seen this post first :) I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have been looking around your blog and have ended up coping every single post because I want to try them sometime. I am going to have a very busy next few months! Great job, and the pictures make it so easy to understand!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Super creative! I love the final look of these candle holders. Thank you for posting an easy to follow tutorial and inspiring my creative mojo!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love it. I will be adding this to my DIY list for our fireplace. great post

    ReplyDelete
  30. Can I ask which table legs you bought from Lowes?

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great blog post. I used to be checking continuously this blog and I am impressed! Extremely helpful information specially the closing phase :) I deal with such info a lot. I used to be seeking this particular information for a very lengthy time. Thanks and good luck.
    Table Leg

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow interesting blog post..............such nice article i like it images also so wonderful.
    Antique tapestries

    ReplyDelete
  33. Excellent article! We are linking too this particularly great post onn our site. Keep up the great writing.
    drawer runner

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is great...I just (JUST) bought two "presumably" wooden tall candlesticks at a big-box (i.e., cheap junk) craft store, only to have one of them fall out of my car and break. Not only was it NOT wood (plastic? resin?), it was HOLLOW! My husband is a woodworker and suggested making some out of table legs, so I started looking for places to buy just legs. The junk is going back, and it's off to Lowe's!

    ReplyDelete

I truly enjoy and appreciate EVERY comment! Thank you for taking the time to comment, and stop by my blog!