Tuesday, March 30, 2010

PVC Pipe Curtain Rods PART 2

Pin It


I have had so many amazing comments on my PVC Curtain Rod post. Thank You so much! They really mean a lot to me! I had some really great questions, and some good feedback I want to share to make this a project YOU can do!

1. I bought my finials, wall sconces and brackets at Lowes. They were reasonable priced. HOWEVER, I found unfinished wood finials back in the fencing/lumber section for a 1/3 of the cost after I had already finished my project. Check them out if you are thinking of doing this
project.

2. I hot glued my finials in place. This does make it more difficult to take down the rod and remove the curtains, but honestly, there is no reason to remove the curtains. Most drapery fabric is "dry clean only", so unless something really drastic happens to your curtains, you won't be taking them down.

3. I spray painted my PVC pipe with regular spray paint. It did scratch when I installed the
rods (not too badly), and I wound up doing several "touch ups". A reader clued me in and let me know that they make a special spray paint just for plastic. DUH! Why didn't I think to look for that?? It takes about a week to cure, but when cured, it doesn't scratch.

**I got another fantastic comment, telling me that plastic primer is even better. Using plastic primer, you can use whatever color you want! Plastic spray paint comes in limited colors.**


4. For my corner windows, I used a 90 degree connector. The amazing thing about PVC pipe is
that there are a milllllion kinds of connectors. Just go to the plumbing section; you'll see a
connector for any kind of angle. This project would even work on bay windows!

5. I would love to see your finished projects! I'm interested to see how this works for you!

11 comments:

  1. Wow.. Great Mind!! Thanks for your Cost Effective & Tips for making
    Curtain rods
    yourself!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love these, it makes me wish we had a big window!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah,

    Plastic primer beats the stuffing out of plastic paint, and it allows you to use whatever color you want.

    I love what you did with the PVC, and I'm definitely doing that...whenever we finally get windows. Thrifty and brilliant of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the curtain rods! The print you used for the curtains are gorgeous as well. Thanks so much for following & entering my giveaway. I'm following you now, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [02 Apr 02:00pm GMT]. Thanks, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are full of great ideas! For my son's room, I just found a pair of curtain rod wall sconces at Goodwill for $2 but there was no rod. I was just going to look for an extra thick dowel rod, but this is going to be so much cheaper!
    Great idea! :) You've found a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  7. In addition to PVC, you might want to consider "rigid" electrical conduit or galvanized pipe for longer curtain runs without sags. I have used 1 inch galvanized pipe for closet rods and it can hold 6 ft. worth of cloths without sags, so I am thinking of using it for hanging curtains.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great, great, idea! I love your results, and the fabric design and texture for your curtains -fantastic. Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great idea for narrower windows, otherwise the PVC sags. I used 1/2" copper tubing instead as my windows are much wider. I primed and painted the tubing and finials. You can find copper tubing at Lowe's or Home Depot. They did not have unfinished finials so I purchased some from Hobby Lobby. The bottom of the finials have a small dowel rod attached. The dowel rod was so small, so I wrapped rubber bands around the dowel rods to thicken them up. I just popped them into the ends of the tubing, and they are secure. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job & thank you for making this a much easier project for me to copy - your ideas and tips are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks to provide the information on this topic it was helpful for me to select the best quality standard PVC pipes.

    ReplyDelete

I truly enjoy and appreciate EVERY comment! Thank you for taking the time to comment, and stop by my blog!