Friday, April 16, 2010

Fabric Flower Hair Clips

Pin It

I am excited to be featuring a tutorial today!
I stumbled across Cindy's blog Sew Blessed, and found this GREAT tutorial!
It is easy, and quick. My kind of project! You don't really have to know how to sew to do this!

When I e-mailed Cindy to ask about featuring her, she said:
"I would be thrilled if you featured my tutorial on your blog as long as you give me proper credit. I have been amazed, since I created that tutorial, with all the people that have copied it, taken credit for it, etc."

REMINDER to all my readers: Please always give credit for ideas and projects you do! It's ok to admit that you aren't a creative genius, and that you get your ideas from others! I always try and link to other blogs that I have the gotten inspiration or ideas from. Do the same!

These hair clips are addictive! I have made a TON. I put on this movie and went to work making flower clips! (oh how I looooove twilight.....)



A few notes about how I created my flower clips:
  • I hot glued alligator clips to the back of my flowers. They are $2.99 for 15 at Hobby Lobby.
  • I hot glued fabric covered buttons (found at Joann's or Hobby Lobby) in the center of most of my clips.
  • I also used large gemstones for the centers of some clips.


Now, here is Cindy's tutorial:




Cut five (5) squares of fabric approximately 2 3/4" x 2 3/4".




Thread a needle with a long piece of thread and knot both ends together.



Start with one square of fabric.





Fold one corner over to meet the opposite corner....making a triangle.


Take your threaded needle and start in the bottom corner.



Work a large running stitch from that bottom corner up to the next corner, turning the corner and working towards the other corner.


The long edge with the fold will be the only edge not stitched. Another way to look at it is that the raw edges will all be stitched together with the running stitch. If you lay it flat...it should look like the above photo. DO NOT Cut the thread. Instead, gather the fabric down closer to the knot by holding the fabric in one hand and the thread with needle in the other. Gently slide the fabric down towards the knot....you have now made one petal. Four more to go!!


Take your next square and fold it the same way and work a running stitch around both edges.




Gently slide the fabric towards the first petal. Now you have two petals.



Take your third square of fabric, fold it and work a running stitch. Three petals made so far!




Take your fourth square, fold it and work the running stitch. I am sure you are getting the hang of this now. And it's becoming fun. This is where the addictive part comes in. Now as you see the flower forming before your eyes...your mind starts working overtime thinking of all the places you could put one of these sweet flowers. But we're not quite done yet....keep up the momentum!



However, you could stop with four petals. It would be a sweet flower. But I generally prefer five petals.


Take your fifth and final square, fold it and work a running stitch.




Take a minute and gaze at this sweet bloom you just made!!!! Then turn it over and take a few tiny stitches to attach the last petal to the first petal near the center area. Tie and knot the thread.



Turn the flower back over and decide what you want to put in the center. This can be fun because different centers can make the flower look completely different.



For this one I put a mother of pearl button in the center. It has a shank on it so I used the same thread (still attached to the flower....I did not cut it) and sewed the button on.


This green little flower also has a mother of pearl button in it.


I made this flower to go with Elisabeth's smocked sundress that I made her a few weeks back. I put a covered button in the center.




But before I put the button in I attached a covered rubber band to the shank and then threaded it through the center of the fabric flower.


Instant pony tail holder!!!! And the centers can be interchangeable with different covered buttons. I'd love to see what you all come up with as far as these flowers go. The options are really endless.

HAPPY HAIR CLIP MAKING!

Don't forget to enter my GIVEAWAY that ends Monday, April 19th.

15 comments:

  1. These are so cute! I might have to make some for my daughter's soccer team this weekend for their game next week! :)

    mommyoftwo247.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this!!! I recently found a similar tutorial at Craftaholics Anonymous and decided to attempt it myself! Here's the post if you want to check it out!

    http://markandwhitneyyoung.blogspot.com/2010/04/saras-diy-birthday-gift-singed-flower.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found you via a comment on my blog about the Doormat Wall Art. I decided to take a peak at your blog. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea for the flower clips. We don't have Hobby Lobby out here in CA, but I'll have to check out Joanns for Michaels for these clips. They look "sew" easy! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just thought i'd pass on good info I got. YOu can get the clips at sally's beauty supply in a box of 100 for almost the same price. Go check it out, it's great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A-DORE-ABLE!!!!! My girls can't wait to make these for their friends! I linked you to my blog - niftythriftynmore(at)blogspot(dot)com
    Thanks so much!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this project so much. Thanks for sharing this tutorial with us, all the step by step photos really helped! I have been inspired!! I wish I had a little girl to wear some. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm late to the party, but I have some scraps of material and a hot glue gun, along with some practically free alligator clips - Gracie's gonna have some new doo-dads this time tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing this! Your sight came up on google long before Sew Blessed. Probably wouldn't have seen this without you sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loving grandmotherMarch 10, 2012 at 9:59 PM

    Thank you I just have to make some of these for my little granddaughters. Love the idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so cute! Thank you so much for sharing how to make this! This is exactly what I was looking for because I want to give these out as Christmas gifts!

    I was wondering if you had any idea on how to make shabby hair clips or if they're already made. I'd like to make them myself so I can pick out a fabric and pattern myself. To giv you an idea on what I'd like, this youtube video shows some shabby hair clips up close. http://youtu.be/xJs5pbzf2zA

    If you could create a tutorial on how to make them, that would be great! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, I am muskaan sharma thank you for this informative post.Fantastic article to go through,I would appreciate the writer's
    123movies

    ReplyDelete
  13. Vastu has many different aspects that work to beautify the home with the help of paintings, idols and other decorative pieces. Built your house and business premises according to vastu shatra . Shri astrologer is a leading vastu expert in mumbai. We are providing vastu services

    ReplyDelete
  14. AE Clicks is one of the best digital marketing agency UAE. We offer a fulcrum to suit your marketing needs. We aid in bringing fresh ideas that would vastly improve your customer loyalty and brand.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hellio gomovies It is a great job, I love your posts and wish you all the very best. And I hope you continue doing this job well.
    https://www.smore.com/2wgm0-gomovies-2020

    ReplyDelete

I truly enjoy and appreciate EVERY comment! Thank you for taking the time to comment, and stop by my blog!