I'm getting ready for the 4th of July! Are you?
I made the cutest little ruffled-y shirt, and wanted to share the tutorial with you!
Blue Star Fabric
Red and White Ribbon
Steps to a Fabulously Ruffled shirt!
(this is for a child's 5T shirt. Adjust measurements as necessary)
- Cut a 4x4 in square of blue star fabric
- Cut a 10x7 in piece of red fabric and a 10x7 in piece of fabric stabilizer
- Position the stabilizer inside the t-shirt, under where the red fabric will be. Pin in place.
- Satin stitch all four sides of your red fabric
- Pin the blue star fabric in place, and satin stitch all four sides. Should look like this:
- Next, cut your red and white ribbon.
- For the "short" section of the flag on top, I cut my ribbon to 14 inches. For the long section on the bottom, I cut them to 24 inches.
- To "ruffle" your ribbon, set the stitch length on your sewing machine to the longest stitch possible (you want a big stitch, not little tiny ones)
- Do a single stitch right down the middle of your ribbon.
- Pull the thread on one end of your ribbon to "ruffle" it. Like so:
- Using a glue gun, glue your ruffles in place, gluing under the ends so they don't fray.
Voila! A very patriotic and pretty shirt!
Close up of the ruffles. I love them!!