Monday, May 16, 2011

{How To} NOT make your own stencil

Pin It
This post is going to start with a big fat FAIL.  I don't usually share all my craft failures, because really, who wants to read about it?

I *attempted* to make my own stencil....I thought I would be all thrifty and just do it myself.

I've been wanting to stencil my own drapes in Miss E's nursery, so I thought I could just make the perfect stencil.

I started with some stencil blanks from Hobby Lobby.  
Cheap, and there are 3 in a pack.


I printed off my design, laid it carefully underneath a stencil blank-


 and started tracing.


Then, I got out my exacto knife and started cutting.....and cutting....


A close up of how UGLY  this was looking!


I was frustrated, but decided not to give up.  I printed off the free quatrefoil design Jen offers, and made another stencil.

This one turned out MUCH better, but after spending an hour cutting it out, I realized the design was SO small that it would take me FOREVER and a day to stencil my curtains. 

I ended the day in craft defeat-almost!

I then emailed my sponsor Cutting Edge Stencils.  I told them about my disaster, and they offered to send me any stencil off their site for free!

Want to see how it all turned out?  Stay tuned!

3 comments:

  1. this tutorial is great! :) haha love the title of this post as well haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooooooooo i can't wait to see!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you use an exacto knife or one of those exacto pens? The pens work much, much better for DIY stencils.

    ReplyDelete

I truly enjoy and appreciate EVERY comment! Thank you for taking the time to comment, and stop by my blog!