Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Evolution of a {Lamp Shade}

Pin It
Every once in a while, I find some great stuff at Goodwill.  If you thrift at all, you know it's totally hit and miss. 

I've been on the hunt for a lamp for Miss E's nursery.  I found this awesome crystal lamp base (that is currently sold at Target!) a few months ago at Goodwill.



I wanted a drum shade, and luck would have it, there was one in great condition at Goodwill.



I decided to go ahead and recover the drum shade with some extra fabric that matched the crib bedding I made.






It turned out like this:

Yep, I realllllly didn't like it.  Ick.  It has been sitting in her nursery for months, waiting for another re-do.

I didn't like how match-y it was to the rest of her room.....



Then I saw this lamp shade at Attemping Aloha.  It's a great knock off of Pottery Barn's.


The only problem is that I do NOT have the patience this late in my pregnancy to make a million tiny fabric rosettes.  No way!



Cruising the fabric section at Hobby Lobby, I made a great find!

Shabby rosette trim by the yard!  Pre-made frayed rosettes.  Awesome!!


So, I stripped my lampshade....and spray painted it white.
  I didn't worry about it looking perfect; it was just going to get covered up again!



Using my trusty glue gun, I attached the trim.




It turned out like this......



It is EXACTLY what I wanted!




Close up of that ruffly sweetness:


Linking up here

26 comments:

  1. That really is SO cute...and incredibly doable! I may have to take a stab at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so in love with this. You did a great job. Its so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh, what a dreamy rose lampshade. I love it. How cool that you found premade tulle with rosettes on it. Doesn't get better than that. It looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty! I love how the shade looks with the crystal base.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first attempt wasn't bad, but the finished project has the WOW factor. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can not believe that they make rosette trim! I love this idea it is so adorable. Thank you for linking up to Upcycled Awesome at www.thetshirtdiaries.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use that same trim in my scrapbooks and never thought about putting it on a lamp! Super cute and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't get over the cuteness!!! great job!! I am definitely making this for my daughters room!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks fabulous - great job! I love that you didn't settle and kept working with what you had until you achieved the look you were wanting. Do you recall approximately how many yards it took and/or how much the rosette trim cost at your Hobby Lobby? I am definitely interested in recreating this look for my daughter's Shabby Chic bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Piper,
    It took me 5.5 yards of trim. My lamp shade is a medium size; maybe 8 inches across. It was 4.00 a yard, and on sale this week for 30% off. hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this! How cute for my girls rooms! I am your newest follower. Come check out my blog and follow me too!

    Shana
    www.belvajune.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've seen similar fabric at hobby lobby but never thought of using it on a lamp shade! Very cool idea! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks great!! You did a fabulous job with it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that rosette trim. I bought some to embellish a shirt. The lamp shade is gorgeous. Thanks for linking to the party.

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG, OMG, OMG what a great blog darling! Your are so beautiful! I follow you now with my bloglovin, and mybe you follow me back? that waer so nice!!! here my blog http://thebeadayse.blogspot.com/ and my bloglovin http://www.bloglovin.com/de/blog/690588/ayse%27/ayse%27 :)))

    Lots of love <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. We must think alike!!! I made the SAME Lamp, however my base is a vintage candleholder. Love yours! How fun! Aren't we fab!! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I didn't hate the first re-do, but I LOVE the rosettes look much better. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great job on the lamp shade redo... Although I actually liked shade #1... but shade #2 is awesome! I featured this today on Sew Woodsy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Liking that,

    linking from Sew woodsy.

    Please pop by and visit Craft and Cupcakes

    ReplyDelete
  20. What fun...looks easy enough...when I remake my living room I will try this trick. Dianntha

    ReplyDelete
  21. So cute. Visiting from The Shabby Creek Cottage.

    ReplyDelete

I truly enjoy and appreciate EVERY comment! Thank you for taking the time to comment, and stop by my blog!