Friday, April 22, 2011

{How to} Spray Paint Furniture

Pin It
I've been promising you a "how to" post on spray painting.  

Here we go!

First off, most of the things I spray paint are small-like picture frames, random do-dahs, chandeliers etc.

 tutorial found here

chandy makeover found here


Sooo, the thought of spray painting actual furniture was a VERY scary thing for me.  


Here's what to do if you want your paint job to turn out great!

  • The brand of spray paint you use MATTERS!  I have used lots of brands, and I honestly think that Krylon is the best.  Do not buy the $1 can of spray paint.  You will wind up using 4 cans of cheap-o paint to do what 2 cans of Krylon can do.  Experience speaking!!  
 (the "no cheap-o spray paint rule" applies to ALL spray paint projects.  Not just furniture!)

  • I do not sand my furniture before priming.  I think it creates a huuuuuge mess, and if you use a good primer, it's not really a necessary step.
  • Prime your furniture before spray painting!  DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!  I cannot emphasize enough how much it matters whether or not you prime.  If you don't prime, your spray paint will chip and look awful.
  • I have tried lots of brands of primer, and the best by FAR is Kilz.  It covers a lot with one can, and it is just awesome.  For some reason, it leaves a fine "grainy" texture on your furniture after it dries.  Use 220 grit sand paper and lightly sand your furniture after you prime.  That grainy feel comes right off, and leaves your furniture feeling smooooooth!
  •  Prime the heck out of whatever you are spray painting.  It will take a few coats, but will be worth it!  Prime until your furniture is a uniform white, with no splotchy patches.
  • After you prime, it's time to spray paint!  No matter what color you choose, the rule is the same.  Light, even coats, with plenty of drying time in between.
  • If you want to save your hands, use rubber/vinyl gloves when spraying/priming.  It is hard to get spray paint off your hands! 
(this is my favorite kind to use)

  •  After you spray paint, it's time for the final step-Polycrylic.  This seals and protects your paint job.  I've read that polyurethane will yellow over time on furniture that is painted white, so polycrylic is a better way to go. 

  • Other pros of polycrylic: it is way less odorous than polyurethane, you don't have to use mineral spirits with your brush, and it doesn't bubble.  I used the minwax brand, and I really like the results. It is easy to apply, and dries fairly quick.

  •  I highly recommend sealing your furniture; it really is a step you shouldn't skip.  It will keep your primer/paint job from chipping!
  • For those that will ask: I have tried brush painting furniture before, with latex paint, and I never get good results.  I always have brush strokes, and I just don't think it looks as professional.  I think that spray paint is usually a much better option.



Specifics on spray painting a crib


  • All of the above tips apply.  
  • I personally emailed several ladies in blogland who spray painted their cribs to ask how their spray paint job has held up.  They all said it has held up great, with no chipping, and that they wished they had done it sooner!
  • Spray painting is going to be your fastest way to give your crib a face lift.  I can't imagine trying to get in between all those slats with a brush!
  • Disassemble your crib as much as possible before spray painting.  It will make it easier to get in all the nooks and crannies.
  • To give you a reference, my crib (which is a large crib) took 6 cans of primer, and 5 cans of spray paint.

Hope these tips help, and feel free to email me with questions!
alittleofthis.alittleofthat.blog@gmail.com 




Linking up here!
and Tidy Mom


38 comments:

  1. Great tips!!! Your crib looks awesome! I've started spray painting furniture lately vs. painting by hand and SO wish I would have made the switch earlier. It saves time and like you said it really does look more professional.

    Stopping by from Remodelaholic!

    Shelley
    www.westermanfam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to tell you, I'm your newest follower :D

    Shelley
    www.westermanfam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This summer I am going to tackle the job of spray painting the kitchen chairs - I'll let you know how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for the hints, tips, and general information! I have a piece of furniture I want to paint, but I've been really worried about ruining it with my amateur skills. With your great,simple to understand directions I don't feel so intimidated. Thanks!
    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great! The crib looks brand new! I know how much time you must have invested into doing that so you're awesome to have that much patience! We've painted a few dark pieces white and it was a long process : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tips! I'm thinking of just painting picture frames, but this definitely helps a ton!

    ~Jessa
    www.jessajill.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. great tips! i just painted a ladderback chair with a brush and OMG it took forever. but i couldn't find the paint color i wanted in a spray. oh well! it turned out ok! but my next chair project will definitely be a spray paint project! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been told that the grainy feel left after spray painting is because I don't shake the can long enough. I made sure I did it for the full length of time this time and it does seem better so maybe that's it. I don't know though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the tips....found this on pinterest and I'm so glad that I did. This weekend I'm attempting my first spray painting project, so these tips will come in handy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, looks awesome!! I have a question though.. Would a paint sprayer work vs spray paint. It seems a gallon of paint is alot cheaper than cans of spray paint. I want to copy you and redo all the ugly natural color furniture in my daughters room, to a nice cream color. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Anonymous,
    A paint sprayer would be awesome! They are supposed to work really really well. I just don't have access to one, or else I'd use it! Here's a blog that uses a paint sprayer all the time to refinsh furniture. Maybe you can get some ideas from her!!

    http://www.theshowandtellblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. great info! i am thinking about repainting a bench that i bought that is colored red. do i go through the same steps as you listed?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whoever is leaving snarky anonymous comments on my blog, don't. If you have something to say to me about any of my projects, own up to your comments and don't be anonymous! I find that people who leave rude, anonymous comments, are people who have no talent, and could never hack starting a blog, much less do any of the projects on this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am going to finally tackle our crib this weekend. We are having baby #2 in a couple of weeks and I too am not a fan of the current colour of the crib and want to go white. I am quite nervous about it because it would be a shame to ruin it. Your blog is helping me relax a bit about it! Thanks for all of the info!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What would you suggest if you wanted the slats one color, and the top and bottom rails and corners a different color? We're doing a circus theme in our nursery and I really want to paint the cribs (two little ones. 15 months apart.) like circus wagons. Should I rattle-can the slats gold and tape off to spray the rest red, or go ahead and paint the red with a brush?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Twitter/rricha_7

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay! I'm so excited I came across this. We are having baby #5 this fall and I want to paint the crib and her sister's bed to look nice in their shared room. I can't wait to dig through this blog and read more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Sarah! I was searching how to paint a crib and found your blog. You explain the steps thoroughly and I feel confident in giving this a try. My question is did you check the brands of each paint to ensure they are safe for a baby? For example, in case they begin to chew on the crib when they are older or smell some of the fumes that may linger? Also, when you used polycrylic, does this have to be painted on with a brush or does it come in spray? Thanks so much for your help! I love it when other women with talent like yourself are willing to share what worked best for them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Sarah! I was searching how to paint a crib and found your blog. You explain the steps thoroughly and I feel confident in giving this a try. My question is did you check the brands of each paint to ensure they are safe for a baby? For example, in case they begin to chew on the crib when they are older or smell some of the fumes that may linger? Also, when you used polycrylic, does this have to be painted on with a brush or does it come in spray? Thanks so much for your help! I love it when other women with talent like yourself are willing to share what worked best for them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Is it possible to do this with a dresser and bed also?

    ReplyDelete
  21. not the same poster but sarah, if they are anonymous, how can you be so sure they are talentless? they could be more famous and successful than you are. you never know... just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I want to paint all the nursery furniture from my first son because we are soon expecting and our boys will share a room so I would like to match it to my son's big boy bed. My fear is of the spray paint running. I recently painted a picture frame by hand and it came out with rush strokes. It looks very antique so I guess I was pleased but not the look I am going for here. I also painted another frame using spray paint and found that it ran some. Is this a problem you encountered? Any tips or helpful hints?

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm afraid of the spray paint running? Is this a problem you encountered? Any helpful hints on how to deal with or avoid this?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks so much for your post! I'm in the process of painting my daughter's old crib (only 2yrs old) blue for use in a nursery I'm preparing for a foster child. I tried brushing and had to sand/scrape most of it back off because it looked horrible. :-( Now I'm working with Krylon spray paint, and things are going so much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That crib looks amazing! Do you know if these tips will work on a black end table? I'm trying to turn it white!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you for your spray painting tips. I am in the process of spray painting a crib from white to black. I bought the above polycrylic and brushed it on. This did not work with a black blackground. Any excess paint is drying white and you can see the brush strokes. I wish I would have spent the extra $5 on the polycrylic spray paint. Just an FYI for anyone else out there trying to seal a dark surface.

    ReplyDelete
  27. For.the.sealer do you.use.a.brush or.sponge.brush.and.how.many coats.do you put? Also how.long.will.it take.to.dry before.anotherin.between.coats?

    ReplyDelete
  28. You can know all about how to spray paint furniture. Useful information

    ReplyDelete
  29. That's awesome! Did you have to take the crib apart?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hello, just to let you know, if you get spray paint on your hands, you can use baby sunblock to get it right off. Not sure what that says about the sunblock but it will wipe right off and then your hands don't need to be "washed" in smelly chemicals. No idea how this was discovered but someone passed this tid-bit onto me and I tried it and was so pleased!

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  31. How long did it take from start to finish?? I'm due in 4 weeks and am wondering if its worth tackling??? Yours looks amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I have a question that might be a bit ridiculous, but i'm re-doing an old bookshelf, but I thought about covering it in textured wallpaper first. Do you think I should prime the wallpaper? I know, it sounds dumb, but it's my first DIY and don't want to screw up...

    ReplyDelete
  33. i have a somewhat ridiculous question..
    i'm re-doing an old bookshelf, i bought wallpaper to cover it. Do you think i should prime that? i know, dumb question but as a first time DIY'er, you never know..

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great Tips I am excited to try on a piece as soon as it
    is warm here in Utah!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hello.
    I have seen your Blog... It’s too informative. There are many posts which are really too Good and very useful.
    Custom Precision Manufacturer

    ReplyDelete
  36. @j.sanchez23

    Isnt textured wall paper made to be painted? I think it is, so I would not bother priming it first because it should absorb the paint easily. However, in case it absorbs too much paint & doesn't give you the desired shade/color I would paint a sample area first. In this case priming would be useful. That's my thoughts on your question.

    ReplyDelete
  37. @j.sanchez23

    Isnt textured wall paper made to be painted? I think it is, so I would not bother priming it first because it should absorb the paint easily. However, in case it absorbs too much paint & doesn't give you the desired shade/color I would paint a sample area first. In this case priming would be useful. That's my thoughts on your question.

    ReplyDelete

I truly enjoy and appreciate EVERY comment! Thank you for taking the time to comment, and stop by my blog!