Monday, January 18, 2010

Shabby Chic Earring Stand

Pin It



Problem: A collection of earrings lays scattered in my bathroom drawer. I am constantly losing them, because I don't have a place to hang them.

Solution
: Go to Michael's and find stuff to make an earring stand!

Supplies needed:
Unfinished wood frame (with a large enough opening)
Wood candlestick (unfinished)
Wood finial (unfinished)
Wood trim (optional)
Wire mesh (can be found in sculpting section)


Staple gun (a hot glue gun would work too)
Spray paint

Sandpaper
Gorilla Glue (the best glue EVER!)
Here we go....
  1. I couldn't find a frame with a large enough opening, so I chose a wood plaque thingy (descriptive, I know....) with a nice border-
  2. I then used my saw to cut out the middle. (If you are lucky enough to find an unfinished frame with a large opening, congrats!)
  3. Cut mesh wire to width of your frame (it's super thin wire; very easy to cut)
  4. Use gorilla glue to glue your frame to your candlestick. You need to clamp the pieces together, like this:
  5. After the gorilla glue is dry (1-2 hours), attach your finial with gorilla glue. I couldn't figure out how to clamp this piece on, so I very carefully attached it and let it dry.
  6. Spray paint your earring stand (I chose black; of course!!)
  7. Spray paint your mesh wire too-both sides
  8. If you are using wood trim, paint it up!
  9. After all the paint is dry, cut and attach your trim to the frame (if you are using it). I think this trim adds a nice detail.
  10. Simply measure each side, cut the trim, and glue in place (hot glue is easy...)
  11. Attach your mesh wire to your earring stand with a staple gun (hot glue would probably work too)
  12. Use sandpaper to rough up the edges a bit, and give it a more distressed look.
  13. Add ribbon, twine, etc to dress it up.
  14. Hang up your earrings and enjoy a little organization!
I was inspired by the girls at Shanty 2 Chic. Check our their project that inspired me here.

Linking up at TidyMom

24 comments:

  1. Sarah, I just found your blog and I love your earring stand! I've got to make me one! You have some great ideas! I'm going to follow you via Google Reader. Stop by and visit me sometime!
    http://songberries.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carol! Your blog is so cute. Love the colors. I'll be checking your blog reguarly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. next time shanty2chic as a giveaway party you should enter this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooo...I LOVE this! Some of the earring holders out there look too cheesy for me but I love this one!
    I'll be featuring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I put this on my list to do! I too have earrings everywhere and have been trying to organize them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like this...I bought a earring holder a few years back...but I am over it's bright silver with large pink crystal and want something a bit different...this is so fantastic...thanks for sharing...I may be "borrowing" the idea for my own jewels!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea. I wish I had the vision to walk into the craft store, buy raw goods and some how end up with something like this :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent! If I make one of these to add to my collection of earring holders. I can buy more earrings! mwaahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! I actually picked up two of that exact same unfinished candle stick at the thrift store a few months ago. Now I have a perfect project for it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is adorable! I love it. I love your blog and am now following.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes! Thank You. I have been wanting to make an earring holder like this, but I could not find small wire mesh. Now I know where to get it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just found your blog- adorable! Love the earring stand- good work!

    Courtney @ RedHeadsCraftMoreFun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Genius idea! Love the ingenuity =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this ... perfect for my daughter. And what a cute gift idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. SO SO SOOOO cute! For a couple weeks I've been thinking I need to get an earing holder.. putting this on my to do this! And my sis is getting one for Mother's Day too =] Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I made mine last night! I couldn't find a finail i liked so I didn't use one but it need something more, so I put dots on it.. not liking the dots though! kind of made it look cheapy.. I think I may just get some trim and cover it up, instead of sanding and painting over again. But I will show you when I'm done! Yours is MUCH cuter let me tell you! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Would love to see the finished product Tarynne!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So cute! I have just been inspired! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! Such a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cool! You did a great job on this! If you have time, I'd love for you to come by and link up for my Friday Favorites party!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this idea! I'm in the process of making one for my sister for her birthday! Thanks!

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice project! How much does it cost? It doesn't look easy to make. Need gifted hands for that. Lol. Wondering if it's easier to get an earring stand from the shops instead.

    ReplyDelete

I truly enjoy and appreciate EVERY comment! Thank you for taking the time to comment, and stop by my blog!